WP3 Prep: Media Training in Social Media

Part 1:

My powerpoint presentation was overall, very informative but a little too informative at times. While working on my presentation outside of class, I was constantly trying to think of "smart" ways to get my point across while also trying to develop my topic a bit more. I think the biggest problem I had while working on my presentation was trying to connect my topic with my professor and also keeping time while I was rehearsing. I rehearsed this presentation about 5 times and every time I went over 10 minutes. The more I practiced, the more notecards I was getting rid of. I think I could of practiced in front of someone in order to get direct feedback before doing it for real. 
While I was practicing my presentation, I was perfectly fine. I was not nervous, I was confident and very engaging with my "audience." The thing for me is I love to perform and get in front of people and sing, dance, and act my heart out but when it comes to doing an intimate, class presentation, I get so in my head. Most of the comments from my classmates where talking about how my topic was super interesting and I knew a lot about it but I just had to believe in myself. One classmate even said "Be more confident. Preach it!" 
To improve my ACURA project, logistically, most of my classmates mentioned breaking it down to just one social media app while also describing what the media training would entail. These notes were very helpful and I see now that I just had to break it down even more while also being confident in my topic choice because most people were intrigued with my area of interest. I plan on taking these notes and applying them to my WP3 so I can get more in depth with how we can implement media training and to one specific platform. 

Part 2: 

My more refined research question is...
"Do you think that by implementing media training/privacy standards into the installation of Facebook would decrease the amount of privacy issues we see occur on the platform?"

Part 3: (MLA)

1. Kennedy, Dennis. “TECHNOLOGY: SAVING FACE: 5 Tips to Better Security on Facebook.” ABA Journal, vol. 96, no. 3, 2010, pp. 32–32. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/27850806.
2. GOODFELLOW, SIMON. “Does ‘I Accept’ Really Mean ‘Abandon All Hope of Privacy, Ye Who Enter Here’?” Litigation, vol. 40, no. 3, 2014, pp. 27–34. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/44677681.
3. Johnson, Amy, et al. “‘Use Your Common Sense, Don’t Be an Idiot’: Social Media Security Attitudes amongst Partners of Australian Defence Force Personnel.” Security Challenges, vol. 14, no. 1, 2018, pp. 53–64. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/26488491.
4. Sacasas, L. M. “How Facebook Deforms Us.” The New Atlantis, no. 56, 2018, pp. 82–91. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/26498246.
5. Forest, Amanda L., and Joanne V. Wood. “When Social Networking Is Not Working: Individuals With Low Self-Esteem Recognize but Do Not Reap the Benefits of Self-Disclosure on Facebook.” Psychological Science, vol. 23, no. 3, 2012, pp. 295–302., www.jstor.org/stable/41441787.
6. Westlake, E. J. “Friend Me If You Facebook: Generation Y and Performative Surveillance.” TDR (1988-), vol. 52, no. 4, 2008, pp. 21–40. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/25145553.
7. Waite, Brandon, and Darren Wheeler. “The ‘Liked’ Department: Using Facebook Analytics for Strategic Communication.” PS: Political Science and Politics, vol. 47, no. 3, 2014, pp. 667–673. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/43284616.
8. Byron, Paul, et al. “‘It Would Be Weird to Have That on Facebook’: Young People's Use of Social Media and the Risk of Sharing Sexual Health Information.” Reproductive Health Matters, vol. 21, no. 41, 2013, pp. 35–44. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/43288958.
9. Weimann, Gabriel. “Terror on Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.” The Brown Journal of World Affairs, vol. 16, no. 2, 2010, pp. 45–54. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/24590908.
10. Rubinstein, Ira S., and Nathaniel Good. “Privacy by Design: A Counterfactual Analysis of Google and Facebook Privacy Incidents.” Berkeley Technology Law Journal, vol. 28, no. 2, 2013, pp. 1333–1413. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/24119897.
11. KIRKPATRICK, DAVID. “DOES FACEBOOK HAVE A FOREIGN POLICY?” Foreign Policy, no. 190, 2011, pp. 55–55. JSTOR, JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/41353271.

Comments