Annotations

People can annotate an article or a book in numerous different way. Your annotations help aid you in understanding a certain topic or idea. I have annotated all throughout high school and I feel is the only way that I can fully understand a reading. Here is a list of things I have found myself doing when I annotate.
1. I always have it color coordinated. This helps me see what ideas go together and how they differ from the others. I like to do this because it keeps all of my thoughts grouped together.
2. I highlight key points. I have done this in order to show myself the key points that I should take away from the reading. It also helps me to see the examples that the author has given to help me fully understand a topic.
3. I write word associations. I feel like this is the most important part because it is a summary of what my highlighted sentence is trying to convey. It helps me when I look back at it to see what the author is trying to convey.
4. I also add tips on how I can apply the knowledge from the reading to my daily life.
5. I always write down specific questions that I have about the text. I add question marks to topics I do not understand so I can ask the question.
6. I put a star next to the most important parts of the article. This helps me see what the author wants me to take away from the article.
7. With words i do not know, I always underline the word and put the deffinition in the margins.
After discussing with my classmates, I have learned additional tools to help me become a better annotater. Here are some of the best.
1. Adding a ! to things that are important. This shows how important a sentence or word is to the overall takeaway of the article.
2. Adding a :( to what i do not agree with and adding a :) to what i agree with. This will help me in class discussions to give my opinion on certain topics brought up during the article.
3. Writing the author's main viewpiont on the topic he/she is writing about.
4. PARAPHRASING! This annotation tool I feel is the most important because it will give you a summary of the highlighted sentence(s) that will make it easier for you to look back.

Comments